Wednesday 21 December 2011

Dream Interpretation 12

DREAM 12 

2000 

I’ve taken the time to write up a very old dream I recorded from over a decade ago. This was actually the first dream I ever decided to record, largely because it was so disturbing and it was a dream in which I experienced a very lucid sensation of false awakening. In fact, I think it was my experiencing this dream which kick-started my interest in the psychological and scientific study of dreaming. I  cannot recall the exact date, but I know that the dream took place in 2000 because I was in a relationship with CW and living in Manchester at the time.

Main environment
My hometown of Sheringham – on Pine Grove, the road on which I lived for many years with my mum and stepdad (they were still living there at the time of this dream, and the road appeared as it does in real-life, no significant variation); next I was in a huge, very dark warehouse with an extremely high ceiling in which many arts/crafts stalls were set up (I have never seen this place before in real-life memory); CW’s bedroom in Manchester (this was the point of the false awakening – I became lucid when I realised the room was significantly different to real-life).

Timing
The dream started in broad daylight. I think it was still daylight when I was in the warehouse. The scene in the bedroom took place at night.

Characters
Myself (as I appear in real-life); CW (as he appeared in real-life); two elderly men (unknown to me in dream/real-life); a male who appeared to be a skeleton; random stall holders; PC (grandmother) referred to once.

Narrative
I was standing with CW on Pine Grove, Sheringham with CW. We were approached by two elderly males who told me that they had bought a skateboard for a young boy, but they did not know how to put the trucks/wheels on the deck. They asked me to do it for them. Without me fixing the skateboard parts, the skateboard was ready and I was skateboarding down the road. One of the elderly men attempted to skateboard. He fell off into the road and I knew he was dead. There was a transition and CW and I were in the warehouse. Many stalls were set up and people were trading. I had a stand with handcrafted greetings cards and art postcards which it was my responsibility to sell. There was a table adjacent to the stand and CW told me that PC had left me a gift beneath it. I looked under the table and saw a red velvet box. I opened it and inside was a severed tongue. The note on top read “this is a baby’s tongue”. I felt horrified. Then I felt a sense of dread. CW and I turned to the entrance of the warehouse and saw a tall, thin male figure approaching. I saw, close up, that he was wearing a Victorian top hat and tails outfit and had a walking cane. His face was that of a skeleton. I then heard organ music playing and he started circling/spinning, like a ballerina in a music box.

I awoke in fear, knowing I had just had a nightmare. I looked around the bedroom and saw CW sleeping next to me, as expected. However, as I looked the room began to change and I noticed that the furniture was completely different. I felt awake, alert and in perfectly control of my actions (I was obviously in a lucid dream state and experiencing false awakening, although at this point in my real-life I was not educated on these phenomena, so suspected nothing of this nature) and was therefore very scared. I tried to wake CW, but couldn’t (perhaps in real-life I wasn’t actually moving). I saw the duvet was covered in hundreds of crawling spiders. Still believing myself to be awake, I began screaming. I was then actually woken by CW, who had heard me shout and felt me lash out in my sleep. I made him reassure me this time I was actually awake. This is the most vivid dream I have ever had.

Potential triggers
At this point in my life I used to be a skateboarder. I do not know of any other triggers.

Interpretation
I have written previously on the symbolism of the grandmother in earlier dream interpretation posts, so I won’t repeat myself here, mainly because PC did not appear as an actual character in the dream, but rather was responsible for the giving of the gift in the dream. PC is a recurrent theme in my dreams – more so than my mum, SM – despite the fact I cannot (consciously) account for any reason why this would be. I have no explanation for the recurrent references to my grandmother (as opposed to any other family member – few of which seem to appear in my recalled dreams) other than the fact she played a significant role in raising me (SM and I lived with her until SM married my stepdad, GM) and we are (in my perception) a close family. 

An old man in your dream represents wisdom or forgiveness. The old man may be a archetypal figure who is offering guidance to some daily problem. To see someone dying in your dream signifies that your feelings for that person are dead or that a significant change/loss is occurring in your relationship with that person (although the person ‘dying’ in my dream was the elderly man, unknown to me. Further, his death gave me little concern in the dream). Alternatively, seeing another die in your dream may be symbolic of aspect of yourself that you wish to repress, represented by the dying person. 

To see or ride a skateboard in your dream indicates that you have the gift of making any difficult situation look easy. You carry yourself with style, grace and composure in the hardest of situations. Alternatively, the dream signifies your free and fun-loving side. 

A warehouse in your dream is symbolic of stored energy or hidden resources. The warehouse also refers to memories. Alternatively, the warehouse means that you are putting your ambitions and goals on hold. To see an abandoned or empty warehouse indicates that your inner resources have been depleted - you need to take some time off to restore your energy and replenish your resources. To dream that you are leasing or renting an empty warehouse represents your receptiveness and your open-mindedness to new things. To dream that you are at a flea market suggests that you are feeling undervalued or under-appreciated. A market generally represents some emotional or physical need that you are currently lacking in your life – you may be in need of nurturance and some fulfilment. Alternatively, the market signifies frugality; to see an barren market in your dream signifies depression and gloominess - there is a void in your life. If the market is large or well-stocked, then it symbolises possibilities and choices. 

To see a greeting card in your dream suggests that surprises are in store ahead. If you are giving or receiving a card, then it indicates a need for you to make contact with the sender or recipient of the card (this is not a helpful interpretation – I was selling the cards as opposed to sending/receiving). To dream that you are selling artwork represents your ability to express yourself and your beliefs.

To see a table in your dream represents social unity and family connections. A box signifies your instinctual nature and destructive impulses. Alternatively, you may be trying to preserve and protect some aspect of yourself. The box may also symbolise your limitations and restrictions - consider the pun of "being boxed in". To dream that you are opening a box indicates an aspect of yourself that was once hidden is now being revealed. It symbolises self discovery. Consider your feelings as you open the box. If opening the box fills you will fear (as it did in my dream), you may be uncovering aspects of yourself that cause you to feel anxious. Red is an indication of raw energy, force, vigour, intense passion, aggression, power, courage, impulsiveness and passion. The colour red has deep emotional and spiritual connotations. Alternatively, the colour red in your dream indicates a lack of energy and feelings of lethargy. Red is also the colour of danger, violence, blood, shame, rejection, sexual impulses and urges and may be an indication that you should control impulses. Velvet represents distinction, honour, sensuality and emotion. There are interpretations for ‘tongue’ as a dream motif, which generally refer to verbalisation; expression or communication – however there is not one that I can find which is specific to seeing the dismembered tongue of another. Similarly, although there are many interpretations of the dream symbolism of a ‘baby’ (generally associated with purity; innocence; new beginnings or vulnerability), there are none which explain the reference to the baby’s tongue in my dream. A dead baby (by implication) represents some part of you which is now ‘dead’ or dormant.

A top hat symbolises flamboyance; wealth; status and the past whilst a walking stick/cane refers to a need for help and support. To see a skeleton in your dream represents something that is not fully developed. You may still in be the planning stages of some situation or project. Alternatively, a skeleton symbolises death, transformation, or changes; and the need to get to the bottom of some matter/issue. The skeleton may also be a metaphor for "skeletons in your closet” i.e. something repressed or hidden. To see someone depicted as a skeleton signifies that your relationship with them is long dead (note that the person depicted as a skeleton in my dream was unknown to me). To hear or play an organ in your dream represents your spiritual connection and religious views. The dream may also be a metaphor to represent the penis. To dream that something is spinning indicates that you are feeling overwhelmed by circumstances beyond your control.

To see furniture in your dream represents how you feel about yourself and your family and refers to your relationships with others and how they fit into your life. A duvet or bed cover symbolises protection and sexual conservativeness. To see a spider in your dream indicates that you are feeling like an outsider in some situation. Or perhaps you want to keep your distance and stay away from an alluring and tempting situation. The spider is also symbolic of feminine power or an overbearing mother figure in your life. Alternatively, a spider refers to a powerful force protecting you against your self-destructive behaviour. To dream that you are waken from sleep may represent a spiritual rebirth. You may be acknowledging and embracing both your feminine and masculine aspects of self. However, there is also a negative interpretation which suggests being awoken during a dream is symbolic of failing to reach your full potential. You should consider who/what ‘woke’ you during the dream - this is an indication of what is lacking or missing in your life. The dream is literally telling you to open your eyes to a situation. Of course (as is the case in my dream), the ‘false awakening’ in a dream is a signal of lucidity. To dream that you awaken someone else suggests that you are acknowledging core aspects of that person within your own self (in my dream, my attempts failed). 

Analysis
I have no contemporary notes to assist analysis.

No comments:

Post a Comment