Tuesday 28 April 2015

Dream 423

'Bad Waitressing Service'
Dream date: 27 April 2015

Day 6 of 14-Day Dream Incubation Experiment - The 'Dream Town' Dream
This is Day 6 of my 14-Day Dream Incubation Experiment. Click on the red link to access the article which explains the experiment.

I was in a room which was not one I know from real-life, but felt familiar in some way (see diagram below). It was either a classroom or a workshop. It was filled with dream characters, who I seemed to know in the dream. I walked to the rear of the room where there were some shelving units. Other dream characters were in this location as well, working on some kind of project (unrecalled). I was looking at something - either a piece of paper, or a digital screen. It had an image (a photographic image) of a cartoon-like red devil on it. This devil was very stereotypical - it looked exactly how you would imagine an image of a 'devil', 'demon' or 'Satan' might look if you try and visualise it in your mind's eye. The paper/digital screen was about the size of an A4 piece of paper and thin (which is why I thought it might be a piece of paper). At the bottom was a number - it increased incrementally as you touched this part of the image (like a touchscreen, which is why I thought it might be a digital screen - like a large mobile phone or a tablet). I realised that this  object was some kind of 'app' or game, which involved scoring points. Once you scored enough points you would get a free quantity of cannabis. However, it was difficult to get enough points, as after a short while of playing (it seemed to involve 'clicking' the image of the devil), it timed-out and you had to wait for the 'game' to re-load. This was intentional - to keep the player clicking and to ensure they didn't score large quantities of cannabis at one time. I was keen to keep scoring points by clicking. I took the 'app' over to a wooden bench, where I sat, hoping to be able to concentrate on the game.

Someone approached me. I am not sure who it was, but in the dream it was someone I worked with. They handed me a scrap of paper, on which something was handwritten in pencil. It was a note from a student (in the context of my job in student welfare). It explained that a Chinese female student had 'peed herself at a music festival' and needed me to go and speak to her. I wondered why I needed to speak to her about this incident and how I would approach the subject in a non-embarassing way. My 'colleague' suggested I say: 'I have come to speak to you about an incident at a music festival'. I felt annoyed that I would have to leave my cannabis-devil app to deal with this student over such a stupid matter. 

The scene changed and I found myself in my former job as a waitress in the Two Lifeboats Hotel in Sheringham. We were in the Augusta Bar and it was daytime. My mum was also working there again, as the manager. I was standing on the customer side of the bar waiting for the barman (a dream character - older than myself, with dark hair and a moody expression on his face) to pour a coffee which I was supposed to serve to a female customer sitting alone at a table a short distance away. The coffee cup was small, narrow and made of a tan-brown pottery material. The barman poured a very thick layer of steamed milk on top and then started to draw a design in it (the way barristas commonly do) with some kind of dark liquid and powders. It looked messy and unprofessional. He moved the cup slightly, and spilled some of the coffe. He then mopped up the spilled coffee with a cloth and used a spoon to lift off the steamed milk, which came up in a perfect solid disk. It looked a bit like a slice of goat's cheese. He then topped up the coffee with some more steamed milk, but this time did not bother to put a design in it with the liquids/powders. I went to pick up the coffee, but someone - a male character - to my right side said something, which distracted me, and I spilled the coffee everywhere. The barman looked annoyed and frustrated at me. I wondered why he was reacting this way when he had spilled it himself first! He re-made the coffee. I asked: 'Is it a latte?' and he replied: 'No, stupid, it's a cappuccino!' I realised that it was obviously a cappuccino and felt stupid for not recognising this myself. I took the coffee over to the solitary female customer, who was reading a newspaper. I splashed some of the coffee onto the saucer as I placed it on the table, and apologised, but the customer did not seem to care.

I went back to the bar. My mum was standing there, with the barman. I asked why I wasn't earning more money. My mum said: 'It's because you can't get up in time for opening at 11:00 am!' I wondered why this mattered, as I should be getting paid by the hour, regardless of what time I started my shift. I said: 'But I do the afternoon shifts!' My mum didn't seem to accept my logic. I realised I was useless at my job and felt depressed.

TIME: 11:30 - 15:00 hours (I am not sure when this dream took place)
LUCIDITY: None
SPECIAL NOTES:  14-Day Dream Incubation Experiment:
  1. MILD Technique 
  2. Dream Incubation methods
  3. Dream Visualisation methods
  4. Afternoon nap

Dreamsigns:
  • The cannabis-devil app which was on paper/digital screen was an impossible dream object (A - Action/F - Form/C - Context)
  • My mum and I stopped working at the Two Lifeboats Hotel over 10 years ago
  • The steamed milk was a solid disk (A - Action/F - Form)

Recurrent Dream Themes:
  • Cannabis
  • Sheringham as a dream scene location

Potential Day/Dream Residue:
  • Two days before this dream I had been at a music show and a man had given me some free cannabis.
  • The day before this dream I had read an article which was called: '37 Things People Who Always Have to Pee Understand' - and referred to the struggle of attending a music festival when you have a frequent need to pee. 
  • The day before this dream I had expressed how annoying it is that my sleep cycle is so messed up - I am awake all night and sleep for part of the day which makes it hard to function in normal society. I am able to live with this kind of schedule as I am a student, who works part-time, but it isn't ideal and I am not happy to be sleeping during the 'best' part of the day (the morning).

Waking Thoughts & Emotions:

I had few specific thoughts/emotions about the particular action in this dream, although I recalled the above scenes very vividly and found that the visual images and narrative of the dream was very clear in my mind when I woke up. The one thought that stood out was related to my poor performance as a waitress. I felt that this scene was signficant for some reason. I felt like I had failed and this left me feeling a bit empty. I woke up from this dream feeling slightly depressed and low in mood, although I cannot say it was as a result of the dream, or just hormones.

* I may have forgotten some (early) aspects of this dream, so if I recall them, I will record them below.

Interpretation/Analysis:
Like many of my dreams during my dream incubation experiment, this dream took place in Sheringham. However, other than this fact, it does not seem to be related in any way to my intended dream theme.

No comments:

Post a Comment