Wednesday 11 May 2016

Dream 624

'Beyonce's Divorce'
Date: 11 May 2016
Time: 19:45 - 01:20 (I woke up from this dream - naturally)
Type of dream: Normal/non-lucid
Dream recall: Strong recall of vivid dream

Scene 1: A Commercial Kitchen (Location Unknown) - Day
I was in a commercial kitchen - either a canteen or restaurant. The kitchen was very typical - a lot of stainless steal and bain maries, where the cooked food was being stored, to keep hot. I was working in the kitchen, alongside a number of middle-aged female dream characters. We were all dressed in white catering uniform, with hairnets and white aprons. I think a male I know in real life was present - it might have been MSG (as opposed to MS, a mutual friend from high school, who was my first boyfriend). I looked at a tray of minced lamb and mashed potato, and realised that the food was rotten. I approached one of the female colleagues and told her that the food was not fit for consumption and we could not serve it to customers. The female told me that the food was fine and would be served. She refused to believe that it was contaminated, so we argued about this, but I refused to convince her about not serving the food.

Scene 2: A Boardroom (Location Unknown) - Time Unknown
I was then in a large boardroom with a number of men wearing smart business suits and Beyonce. She was sitting in the centre of the table. The men were sitting all around the table. I noticed that there was a flipchart against the wall, to the side the the table. Behind the table - which was long, and very shiny polished wood, with nothing on it - were some windows (I could not see the view, even though there were no blinds/curtains). I thought we might be on a high storey of the building we were in. The carpet was a royal blue colour. The walls were white or cream. I stood to the side of the long table, as all of the seats were taken. I noticed that Beyonce was wearing the yellow Roberto Cavalli from her 'Hold Up' music video which is on Lemonade (2016). She was pulling a very strange facial expression, screwing up her face as if she was enraged and about to explode in anger. I wondered why she was so unhappy. There was a very charismatic and overwhelming sense of being in her presence - she was in charge of the room. 

I started to ask her why she was frowning so deeply and continuously (her facial expression was unsettling and made me feel uneasy, as it was so vivid and dramatic - like a caricature of the images of her performing live in 2013, below), but all of the men jumped up from the table suddenly, as did Beyonce. I saw her dress flutter around her as she did so. 

It seemed that the light in the room turned blue at this point, as there was a blue haze around everything. I was holding some sort of manual, and was opening it, but not fully, just so that I could see half of each page. I found that the manual was just a collection of female names, written in rows, like a telephone directory, although the only information were the names, in black type, but large lettering. 

One of the men caught my attention - he wanted me to look at the flipchart, around which the men in business suits and Beyonce were standing. He informed us that we were here to discus Beyonce's forthcoming divorce proceedings. I then knew why Beyonce was scowling in such as angry way. The man who was speaking produced a poster, which he stuck on the flipchart so we could all see it. It was written in orange letters - the 'Synthemesc' font from A Clockwork Orange (1971) (see below). The only difference in how this font was used in this dream as compared to in A Clockwork Orange was the colour (in the movie, it's white on black, used in the opening Korova Milk Bar scene - the orange font of the title is actually the Timepiece typeface - see below) and secondly, in the dream, it seemed to be almost texturised, like it was slightly bumpy. The poster simply read 'Divoce' - I noticed the spelling error straight away and was confused. I wondered if Beyonce or the businessmen noticed the spelling - whether it was intentional or accidental.

Extra Information: None of  note

Recurrent Dream Themes: 
None of note

Dreamsigns: 

  • I was working in commercial catering
  • The scene with Beyonce
  • The spelling of 'divorce' in the A Clockwork Orange font (see below) - should have prompted a reality check, given I also noticed the mis-spelling 

Day Residue:
  • Last week (Friday 6 May 2016) I used Just Eat to order an Indian takeaway from one of my preferred Bangladeshi/Indian restaurants. My order included lamb chilli masala, vegetable vindaloo, peshwari naan and vegetable rice. However, the food was off, which meant I had to complain. The restaurant owner was not pleased that I left a negative review online
  • Beyonce in the mustard yellow Roberto Cavalli [A/W16] she wore for the 'Hold Up' music video from her Lemonade (2016) album and the subject of divorce - see Daily Key Triggers 26/4/2016 (Beyonce Lemonade)
  • I started to write a book of poetry, after developing a concept, which is a 'letter' to 'all of the boys I've loved' (or fucked up...), a poetic narrative of my sexual identity, in the style of female confessional free verse. I decided - in the spirit of postmodernism - to call it 'Cherryade'
  • The day of this dream I saw the images of Beyonce at the 2013 Super Bowl Halftime show, which her publicist had allegedly tried to have removed from the internet because apparently they were too unflattering. You can read a Buzzfeed article including a publicist's email about the incident, here - I then thought about how difficult it must be to be an image-conscious celebrity in the modern age of social media, where all eyes are upon you, and your image can be so easily reproduced and criticised across the world
  • I am currently reading Becoming BeyoncĂ©: The Untold Story (2015) by J. Randy Taraborrelli
  • The font seen on the poster was 'Synthemesc' - as popularised in my favourite movie, A Clockwork Orange (1971) - see Daily Key Triggers 4/5/2016 (A Clockwork Orange tattoo)

Waking Reactions: 
This was a really interesting dream due to the emergence of the Daily Key Triggers from quite some time ago, and the intricate way in which they were interwoven in the dream context, and mixed with other forms of day residue. I am also surprised by my ability to notice a spelling error in the dream, but not the fact that the text was written in that contained in my Daily Key Triggers 4/5/2016. This would have been the perfect opportunity for a reality check and potential lucid dreaming. It is also evidence that my Daily Key Triggers 'experiment' is having an influence on my dreams.

No comments:

Post a Comment