Monday 25 July 2016

Dream 665

'Lost Makeup'
Date: 24 July 2016
Time: 19:00 - 02:30 (I woke up from this dream naturally, then fell back asleep again) 02:30 - 05:15 
Type of dream: Vivid dream 
Dream recall: Weak/moderate recall

This dream is part of my Dream Incubation Experiment - Eminem / Marshall Mathers III Dream - click HERE (post will open in a new window) to see the details of this Dream Incubation Experiment, including the methodology and results of previous Dream Incubation Experiments.

Initially, when I fist woke up from this dream, I remembered most of it in detail. However, because I then fell asleep again, I forgot large amounts of it and on the second waking, the memories of this dream were very vague, especially Scene 2. However, I hope that I might recall more of this dream later, as this sometimes happens when I have processed the dream memory effectively on first waking, then subsequently forgotten some of it.

Scene 1: My Nan's House, Sheringham - Time Unknown
I was sitting on the floor beside the sofa in my Nan's living-room. I think my Mum was sitting on the sofa. My cousin, CAJ was present somewhere in the room. I knew CAJ and I were both enrolled in a class together (despite the age difference and the fact we have both pursued different academic interests/careers in real life). We were also in competition with each other to see who could get the best grades. I was looking at a list of school subjects - written in two rows across a piece of unlined A4 paper, which was horizontal (landscape format). The subjects were: English, Maths, Science and 'Machinery' (which I crossed out and replaced with 'Technology'). There were some other subjects written down, but I cannot recall what they were. I started writing grades underneath each subject - typically they were Bs and Ds. I then said something to my Mum, but I cannot recall what it was.

Scene 2: Unknown Interior - Time Unknown
I had a makeup collection, but was aware that one of my favourite lipsticks - an orange red - had gone missing. I thought someone had stolen it and assumed it might be my cousin, HM. My makeup was piled on a large table in the room, which was quite empty other than this table. I felt annoyed about the lipstick. 

I then spoke to my Mum, who was holding a metal rack (like a smaller version of one of the rotating shop displays where products - such as makeup - are held). This rack had a number of lipsticks, all in the peach plastic packaging like my favourite real life lipstick, which is a Kate (Kate Moss) for Rimmel product (in a peachy nude shade). My Mum was telling me that I might be able to replace my lost lipstick with one from the display rack. She showed me one, which I swatched onto the back of my hand. It was a deep burgundy colour - like red wine, but much darker, almost like a 'black cherry' colour. I said to my Mum: 'I am not a goth'. My Mum then held up another shade of lipstick (same packaging) and said: 'This one is orange red'. I looked at it and said: 'No, that's a light coral colour'. I felt dissatisfied. 

There was more action/discussion regarding the lost lipstick, which I cannot recall. There was some action involving a male dream character, which I cannot recall. 

I cannot recall anything else about this dream.

Extra Information: 
None of note

Recurrent Dream Themes: 

  • My Mum as a dream character
  • Learning/school/classrooms
  • The colour red

Dreamsigns: 
  • My cousin and I were competing in an academic course

Day Residue: 
  • The day of this dream I had seen my cousin CAJ post photos on Facebook and noticed she was wearing lipstick
  • On the day of this dream, I had been writing horror fiction and had considered what school subjects my main character in one of my short stories might excel/fail at
  • I have been making makeup videos recently. In one video, I used the peachy nude Kate/Rimmel lipstick and remarked that the packaging is a good example of my favourite colour. I also referred to the fact that orange red is one of my favourite lipstick shades
  • The day before this dream I had seen an article about how Kirsten Dunst would be directing Dakota Fanning in a movie version of Sylvia Plath's The Bell Jar (one of my favourite books by my favourite poet) - in the images attached to the news article, Dakota Fanning was wearing orange red lipstick and Kirsten Dunst was wearing red lipstick
  • The day before this dream I had been looking through a Tumblr page dedicated to my icon, Julia Davis - one of the comments was about how perfect it was that Davis portrayed Sylvia Plath in comedy series Psychobitches, which also starred Rebecca Front, who appeared in Davis' own show, Nighty Night (one of my all-time favourite TV shows)
  • The day before this dream I had been listening to a Creepypasta which was about The Sims - the story mentioned 'Bella Goth' who is an NPC Sim favourite. On the same day I had also seen reference to Bella Goth fan fiction posted on The Sims fanpage I follow on Facebook

Waking Reactions: 
I really regret not staying awake after my first wakening to properly record this dream while I still had a good memory of it, because I know that it was much longer, complex and interesting than the details I can recall at present. I know that this was not a successful dream incubation, but I found that the effect of my day residue and the way in which the day residue became interlinked in this dream was fascinating. If I recall anything further about this dream, I will record it below.

No comments:

Post a Comment